Use of University Property

Faculty members and other employees are not permitted to hold classes, workshops, or other such projects in University buildings or to use University equipment for private gain. All classes or instructional projects involving any collection of money are to be handled through the Controller's Office.

Professors should be concerned about the physical appearance of their rooms. Lights should be turned off when one leaves classrooms. Laxness on the part of a housekeeper should be reported to the Director of Physical Plant.

Professors who enter buildings by unlocking doors should lock the doors behind them or upon leaving the building. A professor who unlocks a door is responsible for the students who enter the building through that door while it remains unlocked.

Maintenance of Buildings

The maintenance of buildings falls under the immediate supervision of the Director of Physical Plant. A Work Order should be submitted to Physical Plant to request routine repairs to buildings. For emergency service and janitorial service, call extension 6233.

In case of emergency after business hours, the Director of Physical Plant may be reached by telephone at the number shown in the campus directory.

Requests or reports concerning major alterations or renovations should be directed, in writing, to the Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs, who is responsible for the general supervision of the maintenance and operation of the Physical Plant.


Scheduling of Moore Hall is done in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. A request for use form must be filled out at least one week prior to the planned activity. Groups are expected to leave Moore Hall in the condition in which they found it. Use of the facility will be denied those who abuse it.


Scheduling of the Givens Performing Arts Center is done in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Students Affairs. Request For Use forms are available from the Director of the Givens Performing Arts Center and should be completed and returned at least one week prior to the planned activity.

There will be no food or drinks allowed in the auditorium of the Givens Performing Arts Center. Smoking is prohibited in the facility.


Scheduling of the Chavis University Center is done in the Director of the University Center's office. Room reservation requests must be completed and filed with the Director of the University Center at least eight (8) days prior to the event. All reservations are considered tentative and subject to cancellation until the room reservation form has been approved by the Center's Director.



The main office for University Computing and Information Services is located in room 120 on the first floor of the Oxendine Science Building Annex. Regular operating hours are Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm, with a second shift operator, whose responsibility is maintaining system backups on all our computers, working until midnight. Hours for the student lab supervisors are distributed each semester to academic departments and posted in various locations. The Office is also responsible for the NC-REN facility which is located on the first floor of the Business Administration building and a training lab, which is located on the second floor of Old Main.

The Office of University Computing and Information Services provides support to administrators, staff, faculty and students in the planning, evaluation, implementation and training of instructional and administrative uses of the computer facilities. The Office also assists in the development and implementation of individual, group and institutional research projects. It provides computer facilities for automated data processing support in programming, faculty development, academic and administrative computing, and instructional uses of computer facilities. The Office also provides networking access to the campus data network, LINC NET - a state-wide network, INTERNET - a national network and the North Carolina Information Highway (NCIH). Once the data component is in place, the NCIH will provide the campus with high speed data transfer. The Office also provides staff and support for the NC-REN facility on campus. The NC-REN facility is connected to the NCIH. It provides both live two-way video classroom and conferencing abilities withother schools in the NC-REN community as well as any other school connected to the NCIH. These services allow administrators and faculty to communicate and exchange data with their colleagues electronically. Test scoring capabilities, scanning, desktop publishing and word processing capabilities are available to faculty to facilitate their classroom instruction and professional development activities.

The Office of University Computing and Information Services also gathers and communicates institutional data to the University and to General Administration.


The library is a cultural, educational and informational resource for the University and the surrounding region, and one of the University's chief services in support of academic programs. The library staff is at all times ready to assist students and faculty in finding course-related or research materials. The library provides a number of services for faculty members, students and other patrons. Services include acquiring new materials, handling interlibrary loan transactions, providing reference assistance, instructing students in library use, managing reserve materials, conducting computer-based literature searches, alerting faculty to receipt of new works in their fields, and compiling bibliographies.

A system of library-faculty liaison exists, and professional librarians work closely with academic departments and individual faculty members to assist in ordering materials, in research, or in filling other library needs. Suggestions for additions to the library's collections on the latest library order request form are requested and encouraged. Materials ordered are charged against departmental allocations as part of the process of building a balanced collection. Such allocations are determined each fiscal year. Cards for submitting requests are available from departmental chairs, departmental library coordinators, or members of the library staff. The library's primary mission is to support the teaching curriculum. While few materials are purchased solely for faculty research, users have access to many via interlibrary loan or cooperative borrowing agreements. The library also acquires some materials for recreational reading. Current textbooks used by students are not acquired for the library collection, but requests for textbooks which supplement, contribute to or update the library's collections are considered. Periodical subscriptions are reviewed for addition or deletion each spring.

The Sampson-Livermore Library is a selective depository for U.S. government publications, and faculty may request relevant documents from lists retained by the Documents/Special Collections Librarian. The library is also a partial depository for State of North Carolina documents, most of which are available on microfiche. The Charlie Rose Papers includes federal legislation during the twenty-four years that he served the Seventh District of North Carolina. Faculty members are encouraged at all times to request materials which they feel will be of significant value for the library collection.

Library hours are as follows: Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. 11:00 p.m.; Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m.; Saturday, 10:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m.; Sunday, 2:00 p.m. through 10:00 p.m. The library is closed on weekends and operates 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. during breaks and between academic sessions.

Interlibrary loan: If any patron needs materials which are not available at the library, interlibrary loan service is available. In most cases books can be borrowed or photocopies can be obtained within a month. A computer system is used to find locations and to send requests to almost any library in the country. A telefacsimile machine is available for urgent requests for copies of single pages of information or articles. A fee will be charged for photocopies, fax equipment use, or any borrowing fees assessed by the lending library.

Reference counseling and assistance: A professional librarian is available during most library hours to assist library patrons in the location of information in books and journals; to request needed materials from other libraries; to conduct tours; and to provide instruction in library use to classes upon request. Faculty are urged to discuss library assignments and instruction needs with the reference staff, to notify the staff of such assignments, and to request assistance with them, if needed. Such assistance may include preparation of bibliographies, scheduling of library instruction sessions, or preliminary searching to assure that there are enough materials for students to complete the assignment. Advance information prior to assignments will be appreciated and helpful for students and the library staff.

Library instruction: Students are introduced to the library during their orientation classes. They are shown where some fundamental sources of information are located, and they are given a chance to get acquainted with how to use these sources. Instruction continues in conjunction with the composition classes in the Communicative Arts Department. The library encourages faculty teaching courses in all subject areas to arrange for a librarian to show the students the location and use of the basic sources of information in their field. Pathfinders for doing research in various subject fields can be created upon request. It is recommended that faculty members be present during library instruction classes for purposes of interacting with students and the library instructor.

Circulation of books and serials: New faculty are issued library cards upon application in the library. Library cards may be used as faculty identification for on-campus events, and must be embossed in the library for such use. Faculty borrowing privileges generally cease when a faculty member leaves the University's employ, but are continued for Emeritus faculty and retired faculty. Books may be borrowed by students, part-time faculty, and staff for three weeks, with renewals (upon request) for an additional three weeks or any part of this period to the end of a semester or session. Full-time faculty and administrators may borrow books for a semester, with the understanding that these books are to be returned as soon as possible, and within a week following notification of a request to borrow by another patron. Serials, including both newspapers and current and bound journals, do not circulate.

Lists of materials borrowed from the library by faculty will be furnished near the end of academic sessions. Books may be renewed in the library at any time or can be renewed by means of the list of items just mentioned during December, unless there are problems relating to outstanding accounts, including interlibrary loan materials. In the instance of any problems with outstanding accounts, materials may not be renewed by use of the list of items charged to a faculty member but must be brought to the library.

Overdue notices will be sent in a sequential manner, the final one an invoice, to be sent near the end of the semester when materials become overdue. The cost of the book plus a processing fee will be charged. Should the overdue material not be returned to the library or paid for by the end of the semester, suspension of borrowing privileges will occur. Before such action occurs, the faculty member will be notified in writing by the Director of Library Services.

(The above-stated policies regarding library lending were approved by the Faculty Senate December 2, 1992.)

Reserve materials: Professors should place on reserve, at least forty-eight hours before assignments are made in them, any books or copies of periodical articles which a considerable number of students will use. Professors will designate the desired loan period: in-house, overnight, 3-day, or one week, with the understanding that reference materials cannot be used outside the library. Printed forms for listing such books or articles may be obtained from the circulation desk. Reserve books are listed at the circulation desk by both professor and course. At the end of each semester all books are removed from reserve unless instructions to the contrary are given on the printed form. Faculty members are requested to stop by the library by the end of the semester to pick up personal copies of materials they have placed on reserve.

Compilation of bibliographic resources: Faculty and students needing to find citations to materials on a topic may wish to consider taking advantage of the online databases available, principally from the Dialog Company. However, attractive, non fee-based alternatives used by many library patrons are the compact disk and web-based bibliographic resources subscribed to by the library. Reference librarians are available for consultation concerning compilation of bibliographic resources.

Archival material and special collections: The Sampson-Livermore Library collects materials relevant to the history of The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, Robeson County, and the Lumbee Indians. These materials are limited to in-house use. Records of faculty governance are also housed in the library.


The Media Center provides University-wide audiovisual and other related media services and has an integral role in the total instructional and University services program. Located in Old Main, it provides (a) departmental services, which include the scheduling of media facilities and equipment of use by various department members; (b) individual services, which include the provision of facilities and equipment for university students; and (c) community services, which include both counseling services for media center development and instructional services to public school administrative units through in-service education in the teaching of media.


The Career Services Center is located in room 210 of the Chavis University Center. The Center's purpose is to assist students and alumni with career planning and the job search. The director is available to assist students in deciding their major, assessing their skills and interests, exploring job information, critiquing resumes, developing interviewing skills, and determining job-hunting strategies.

The Career Library maintains resources related to college majors, careers, employers, graduate schools, internships/co-ops, and the job market. Full-time, part-time and summer job listings are available as well as the UNCP Alumni Connection which links students to UNCP alumni for career guidance.

Workshops are offered throughout the year on a variety of topics such as resume writing, interviewing, and job hunting. Other special events include: Senior Orientation, Graduate & Professional School Day, Career Fair, and the Teacher Education Fair.

UNCP seniors and alumni are encouraged to participate in the on-campus recruiting program. Representatives from business, industry, government, health and public school systems come to the Career Services Center each year to interview registered students and alumni for job vacancies.

All seniors are urged to register with the Career Services Center, regardless of whether they have an immediate need for the service. The credential packet, a major service offered by the center, includes three letters of reference, two copies of the student's resume and a copy of the final transcript. Credential files are sent to employers upon request. The first six copies of the credential packet are sent free. Additional copies cost two dollars per packet. Students whose records are in the active file are recommended to prospective employers and notified of specific job opportunities which meet their geographic and career field preferences and for which they qualify.

Active registrant's credentials are kept in the active file for three years at which time the file must be updated. If the file is not updated, it will become inactive and will be kept for five years. After five years, the credential file will be destroyed. Alumni may opt to reapply for the services offered by the Career Services Center at any time.

For more information about career services, students and alumni should schedule an appointment with the director. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.


Counseling services, personal and/or social, are provided for UNCP students without cost. A variety of tests and assessment instruments are used to explore personality type, interests, and patterns of behavior. Students who are experiencing personal difficulties or who wish to increase their self-knowledge for personal growth are encouraged to utilize these services.

The Counseling and Testing Center is located on the second floor, Room 243, of the Chavis University Center. The Center is staffed by two professional counselors. Counseling is typically done by appointment, but emergency situations are addressed immediately. Counseling relationships are confidential unless harm to self or others is indicated.



This Committee engages in activities that encourage and support faculty in activities that relate to professional development, including research and instructional improvement. It serves as an advisory committee and normally makes its recommendations to the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Specifically, the Committee will be interested in the following activities:


There are two main sources for requesting external support: grants and gifts. The Office of Grants is responsible for securing support for programs which are consistent with the University's mission. "Grants" are awards which typically require the recipient to report results of their project or program on a regular basis as well as specific expense and budget related expenditures, including all faculty-originated projects involving research, scholarly or intellectual activities.

The Office of Development is responsible for all gifts to the University. Gifts may be in the form of cash or gift-in-kind (art objects, equipment, securities, real estate, service, etc). In the state of North Carolina some gifts are referred to and may be reported as grants. The Office of Development and the Office of Grants work closely to assist in determining and working with such gifts.

All requests for gift support must go through an approval process which requires the filing of particular forms and securing of written approvals at least ten working days priorto the submission of any proposal. These approvals must be obtained, whether the solicitation is to be written or verbal.

Faculty members wishing to secure grant support should schedule an appointment to speak with the staff of the Grants Office, if needed. Complete information on the grant process, approval forms, and assistance in the preparation of proposals and budgets are provided. The "Guide for External Program Support" presents a more detailed explanation of the grant-seeking process. A copy of the guide is in each department.

Faculty members wishing to submit gift proposals to individuals, corporations or foundations must contact the Office of Development for information regarding the approval process as well as advice and support. Unlike many federal or state grantors, most donors will not accept more than one request for support from the same institution at the same time. The Office of Development provides coordination in the presentation of proposals to help make it more likely to have funding awarded.

The general criteria that must be considered in the development of proposals are:

·Adequate budgetary support, both direct and indirect, is to be provided by the funding agency and other appropriate sources, and no unauthorized obligations are to be assumed by The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.

·All sponsored programs and projects must be compatible with the overall mission of The University of North Carolina and UNC Pembroke.

·Projects and proposals must be consistent with all pertinent University policies and regulations.

·The principal investigator (s) of a grant must report multiple-year grants to the Grants Office by forwarding a copy of the yearly awards letter as soon as it is received.

·The Office of Development must be immediately notified of the receipt of or intent to award all gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations. Notification of the receipt of a gift will come from the Office of Development as soon as official communication of this fact is received from the donor.

·All funds received as grants or gifts must be distributed in accordance with the federal, state, and local regulations governing such disbursement. No expenditures will be authorized until the gift, or the notice of grant award has been received and the approval of the Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs has been obtained.




The University of North Carolina at Pembroke is concerned that no research be done under its jurisdiction which exposes persons who participate as subjects or respondents to unreasonable risks to their health, general well-being or privacy.

Specifically, the University is concerned that all research development. and related activities involving the use of human subjects:

To implement this policy, all research that involves human subjects conducted under the jurisdiction of the University is subject to review.


All research involving human subjects at the University is subject to review. Two types of review procedures are available, depending on the funding sources for the research:

A. research explicitly contracted through federal or state funds shall be reviewed by the Institutional Review Board for Research Involving Human Subjects (IRB), using the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) guidelines (See Code of Federal Regulations 45 CFR 46).

B. research which does not involve such contracts shall be reviewed in the manner specified below. This category includes nonfunded research of faculty and students.

Appeals Process

Institutional Review Board Membership

The members of the IRB will be appointed by the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The IRB will be composed of the Coordinator of Faculty Grants and four faculty members, two of whom will be experienced in human subjects research and one of whom shall be from a nonscientific area such as ethics, religion, literature, history, etc. Only one member may come from any academic department. For review of contracted research, a sixth member who is not otherwise affiliated with The University of North Carolina at Pembroke and who is not part of the immediate family of a person who is affiliated with the University shall be appointed. No member of the IRB or of a departmental review committee may vote on the approval of a proposal that she/he submitted.


Committee members, applicants for review, and others concerned with the policy should familiarize themselves with Code of Federal Regulations 45 CFR 46.



Guidelines and Format for Submitting Proposals

The Institutional Review Board for Research Involving Human Subjects adopts the following guidelines for its consideration of applicable research proposals and the format for the submission of applicable research proposals. These guidelines and submission format are consistent with the "Policies for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research" at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke. These guidelines shall be subject to periodic review and chance as deemed to be appropriate by the Review Board.


1. The Review Board shall meet during the first week of each month.

2. Research proposals must be submitted no later than the third Friday of each month for consideration at the following month's meeting.

3. The principal investigator(s) shall submit ten (10) copies of each research proposal in the format specified by the Review Board.

4. A quorum of two-thirds of the Review Board, excluding ex officio members, must be present for the consideration of any proposals or other relevant matters.

5. A majority vote will be necessary for approval of any Review Board actions.

6. The principal investigator, or designated representative, shall be present at the meeting of the Review Board for which a submitted proposal is being considered. The principal investigator will present a brief synopsis of the research proposal and respond to questions as appropriate.

7. The Chairman of the Review Board shall provide written notification of the Review Board's actions to the principal investigator of a research proposal.

8. The format for the submission of research proposals shall be as follows and address the following relevant questions. Each proposal should be as brief as possible and still address each of the pertinent concerns indicated in the following section.


  1. Title
  2. Name of the Principal Investigator(s) [Note: If the principal investigator is a student rather than a faculty member, then the faculty member supervising the research proposal, course number and title are to be indicated.]
  3. Overview or Abstract
  4. Brief Summary of Purpose(s) or Goal(s)
  5. Method
    1. a. Materials and/or Procedures to be Used
      b. Procedures for Identification of Subjects
      c. Method of Subject Selection

  6. Ethical Considerations
    1. a. Informed Consent by Subjects
      b. How is this obtained?

  7. What records are to be retained?
  8. Description of procedures for subject withdrawal without prejudice.
  9. Relationship, if any, to course credit for subject participation.
  10. Risk of Physical and/or Psychological Harm
  11. Privacy, Confidentiality, and Anonymity
  12. Provisions for Subject Debriefing as appropriate
  13. Reporting of Results

      a. What procedures will be used?
      b. How and where will results be reported/used?

  1. Retention of Records and/or Results
    1. a. How will data be stored?
      b. How long will individual data be retained?
      c. How will data be destroyed?


Guiding Principles

A. Definition of Misconduct in Academic Research by Faculty

B.General Policies Regarding Misconduct in Academic Research

Procedures for Handling an Allegation of Academic Misconduct


B. Specific Procedures

Inquiry Stage

Investigation Stage


Central Stores

Central Stores maintains an inventory of over 2,000 line items of the most commonly used office, computer, classroom, and maintenance supplies. Departments may visit Central Stores to "shop" or purchase their requirements. A Central Stores requisition is required. Catalogs are available by contacting the manager at extension 6234. The catalog should be referred to prior to requesting an off-campus purchase. Central Stores is located in the Central Warehouse building.

Printing and Duplicating

This department is located in the D. F. Lowry Building and is open for business from 8 a.m. till 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. It will provide printing, copying, and reproduction services for all academic and administrative departments at a reasonable charge.

Mail Service

The UNCP Post Office is located at the front of the Central Warehouse. The UNCP Post Office offers stamps, envelopes, USPS, UPS, Federal Express, and Airborne mailing services.

Mail is picked up daily from the Pembroke Post Office, sorted and delivered to all campus boxes and departments.

Intra-department mail is picked up and delivered twice a day. Outgoing mail boxes are available in the following buildings: University Center, Lumbee Hall, Business Administration, Oxendine Science, Classroom North, Educational Center, and Old Main. Anyone may post outgoing mail (providing it has appropriate postage) in these boxes. The outgoing boxes can be used for campus mail, courier mail and outgoing mail.

UNCP is served by the State Courier service for all state agencies located in Raleigh and other agencies throughout the State. Contact the Post Office for more information or for courier addresses.

Fax service is offered to all faculty, students, and staff. The fax number is 910-521-6162. Faculty and departments may use the service free of charge if the material faxed is UNCP business. An authorization form is available in the Post Office. With authorization faculty/departments may send or receive material via this fax number. Users receiving a document should instruct the sender to note the name, department, and phone number of the receiver. The fax may be used for personal use for a small fee. As of May 1, 1994 the charges are $.50 per page for outgoing faxes within the continental US and $1.00 per document for incoming faxes.


The Student Health Services Center is operated totally out of student fees. Any faculty or staff member desiring routine medical services from the infirmary may pay the student charge ($50.00 per semester) to the cashier and take his/her receipt to the Director of Health Services. This will entitle him/her to out-patient service only and does not cover family members. Infirmary service or medication will not be provided to anyone who has not paid the Health Services’fee.


Excellent meals are available from the University cafeteria to faculty and staff at nominal rates. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served daily.

A debit-card system, designed for your convenience, is part of your UNCP I.D. card. This system allows you to design your own meal plan. You may either put "Munch Money" on your card ($25 minimum) or purchase Block Meals. Block Meals (16 meals minimum) may be purchased at a reduced rate. See the Cashier's Office for Details.

Additional information about "Munch Money" and Block Meals can be obtained at the cafeteria or the Controller's Office.

This may be the best bargain on campus. The food is good, there is a lot of it, and the cost is right. Don't miss this deal.


All employees of The University of North Carolina at Pembroke are covered by the North Carolina Workers' Compensation Act, which is administered through the North Carolina Industrial Commission. If you suffer an injury on the job arising out of the course of your employment, report it immediately to your supervisor and the University Human Resources Office where you obtain forms that you and your supervisor must complete. These completed forms are then turned in to the Human Resources Office so that a claim can be filed on your behalf with the North Carolina Industrial Commission.


The Office of State Personnel has developed a Service Awards Program for all full-time State employees. The purpose of this program is to recognize the continued and dedicated service of career State employees.

On the anniversary of your 10th, 20th, and 30th year of employment with the State of North Carolina, you will be presented with your choice of an emblem mounted as fine jewelry or a Certificate of Service. Our awards program includes both faculty and staff. Ifyou have had prior service with the State of North Carolina, please notify the Human Resources Office.


Marriott provides dining services to the University. A Request for Dining Services form is available from the Purchasing Services department. A catering brochure, available from the Dining Services Manager, details approximate costs for various types of functions and events. For more information, refer to the Request for Dining Services policy available in your department or in Purchasing.


It is the responsibility of each faculty member to register his/her motor vehicle with the Controller's Office. A $28.00 fee is charged for a permit, which is valid for one year, expiring August 15. Permits sold after April 30 are half price. Review the Traffic Rules and Regulations, available at the time you register your vehicle, to determine which lots are available for faculty/staff parking.


The length of time a person may operate an automobile in North Carolina before being required to purchase a North Carolina license plate varies according to the state in which the automobile was previously registered; North Carolina has reciprocity agreements with most states. Newly employed faculty members coming from other states are advised to call the local office of the North Carolina State Highway Patrol to secure information on this regulation and thus avoid payment of a penalty for non-compliance.


Personal checks can be cashed at the University Bookstore. The following policy will apply:


Found articles should be turned in to the Office for Student Affairs with any possible information that may help to identify the owners. Notice should be given this same office in regard to lost articles.


The Pine Needle is a biweekly student-published newspaper at UNCP. It records the weekly activities associated with the student body and The University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Through its editorials, sports coverage, etc., the Pine Needle staff keeps the student body well informed of what's happening at UNCP, and also discusses issues of national and international concern. Through the Pine Needle students are afforded the opportunity to voice their opinions thereby providing a vital communications link with the total University.


All official notices will be published in This Week, a publication from the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Office, which is distributed on Monday of each week.


The Office of University Relations is a link between the University and its publics. It is responsible for selected internal and external communications and promotional campaigns. The Director is the official University spokesperson.

The office coordinates media coverage and disseminates news to the media. In order to accomplish these tasks, the cooperation of all administrators, faculty and staff is requested.

Those knowledgeable of newsworthy events and programs are asked to contact the Office of University Relations (extension 6249).

University-related trips, appointments, publication of articles, participation in programs, honors received, or any other newsworthy event should be reported for dissemination to the news media.

The Office of University Relations sends news releases and media advisories to media throughout North Carolina, professional journals, and to out-of-state hometown media.

A feature of the office is its photographic service which provides photos to accompany the printed news releases. To schedule photographic support, contact the University Photographer at extension 6253.


As adopted by the University Board of Governors, full-time faculty who are eligible for membership in a State-supported retirement plan will be allowed tuition waiver for one course per regular school term for classes attended outside of the required work hours. The following conditions must be satisfied in order to be eligible for tuition waiver:

Questions concerning tuition waiver for faculty may be directed to the Office for Academic Affairs.


As authorized by the General Assembly and adopted by the Board of Governors, legal residents of North Carolina who are at least 65 and who meet applicable admissions standards are permitted to enroll for courses tuition-free on a space-available basis. Other fees or charges and costs of textbooks must be paid by the student.

Questions concerning tuition waiver may be directed to the Controller's Office--Student Accounts Receivable.


The University Switchboard is open each school day from 7:45 a.m. until 5 p.m. We have several outside lines on our switchboard for out-going, long-distance calls through the State Telephone Network (CENTREX).

To make a long-distance telephone call:

Dial the Operator (O), ask for a Centrex line, provide your name, department and number dialing, then dial the area code plus your seven-digit number.

Please do not dial direct for long distance--dial (O) for Operator. Give the University Operator full information on long-distance calls.

We will receive a monthly print-out of all long-distance calls showing the number called, place, time, duration, and cost. The calls will be charged on a departmental basis. No personal, long-distance telephone calls are to be charged to The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.

Please note that no employee is to list a University telephone number for the purpose of publicizing any event which is not sponsored by the University. This applies to events such as political activities, charitable fund raising, and similar activities. It should be further noted that no telephone charges to the University for such activities are to be made.

A voice messaging system is available and service will be activated if you call University Computing and Information Services.

[Academic Affairs HomePage] [Return to Table of Contents]

Last updated: August 18, 1997