Skip to Quicklinks
Skip to Quicklinks

Herbarium

Photo of UNCP Herbarium

The UNCP Herbarium, established sometime around 1998, has ~4500 dried, pressed plants (vouchers). Most specimens were collected by Albert E. Radford, C. Ritchie Bell, and Harry E. Ahles, and their graduate students and colleagues, as part of a concerted effort during the 1960s to document the vascular flora of the Carolinas.

One of these graduate students, Robert F. Britt, would later join the faculty at UNCP (known then as Pembroke State University). Dr. Britt served as Professor of Biology (1960-1991) and Department Chair (1967-1985) for the Department of Biology. Specimens continue to be added to the UNCP Herbarium by way of UNCP student collections and research.

The Herbarium has a nearly complete representation of the vascular flora of Huggins Island (Onslow County, NC) and will soon contain the flora of Sampson's Landing (Robeson County, NC).

The Herbarium is used largely for educational purposes (BIO 3400 Plant Photo of UNCP Herbarium CabinetSystematics and ENV 2200 Field Botany (BIO 2200)), and given the near absence of duplication, its vouchers are not available for loan. Dr. Lisa Kelly, the Herbarium's director and curator, is the contact person for inquiries about the use and contents of the herbarium. All visitors should adhere to the Herbarium policies.

The Herbarium was moved to its current location on the second floor of the Oxendine Building in 2005.

Updated: Monday, April 18, 2011

Related Links
  • Coming Soon!
 
Loading

© The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
PO Box 1510 Pembroke, NC 28372-1510 • 910.521.6000