2008-09 CATALOG

 

THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE

 

Mission, VISION, CORE VALUES, AND DISTINCTIVENESS of the University

History of the University of North Carolina at Pembroke

The Campus

 

MISSION OF THE UNIVERSITY

Founded in 1887 as a school for the education of American Indians, The University of North Carolina at Pembroke now serves a distinctly diverse student body and encourages inclusion and appreciation for the values of all people. UNC Pembroke exists to promote excellence in teaching and learning, at the graduate and undergraduate levels, in an environment of free inquiry, interdisciplinary collaboration, and rigorous intellectual standards.

Our diversity and our commitment to personalized teaching uniquely prepare our students for rewarding careers, postgraduate education, leadership roles, and fulfilling lives. We cultivate an international perspective, rooted in our service to and appreciation of our multi-ethnic regional society, which prepares citizens for engagement in global society. Students are encouraged to participate in activities that develop their intellectual curiosity and mold them into responsible stewards of the world.

UNCP faculty and staff are dedicated to active student learning, engaged scholarship, high academic standards, creative activity, and public service. We celebrate our heritage as we enhance the intellectual, cultural, economic, and social life of the region.

 

VISION STATEMENT

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke will challenge students to embrace difference and adapt to change, think critically, communicate effectively, and become responsible citizens. Working from a strong foundation in the liberal arts, we will increase opportunities to infuse our curriculum with interdisciplinary innovation while promoting undergraduate and graduate research as well as international opportunities.

 

CORE VALUES STATEMENT

The faculty and staff of UNC Pembroke are guided by the following set of core values:

1) The commitment to serving the local region

2) The creation, exploration, evaluation, and articulation of ideas

3) The value of a liberal arts foundation as the basis of self-realization and lifelong learning

4) The importance of honor and integrity to learning and leadership as we educate students to be stewards of the world

5) The appreciation of the American Indian history of the university and local community

6) The appreciation of diversity and respect for the dignity and worth of every individual

7) The commitment to prepare graduate and undergraduate students to succeed in an ever-changing and increasingly technological global environment

8) The accessibility of education which leads to the enhancement of the economy and culture in the region

9) The maintenance of a sustainable, safe, healthful, attractive, and accessible campus

 

INSTITUTIONAL DISTINCTIVENESS STATEMENT

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke distinguishes itself from peer institutions by offering an affordable, highly personalized, student-centered education to diverse students.  Founded in 1887 as an American Indian institution to serve the Lumbee people, UNCP is now also comprised of students, faculty, and staff who possess differing attributes based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability status, national origin, age, political affiliation, religion, and other characteristics.  Diversity grounds intellectual pursuits and provides us with opportunities for discovery and ways to integrate all individuals and groups into the larger community, respecting and valuing their uniqueness while simultaneously advancing the University’s historical tradition.  UNC Pembroke thus prepares its students for life and leadership within a diverse society.

 

HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT PEMBROKE

On March 7, 1887 the General Assembly of North Carolina enacted legislation sponsored by Representative Hamilton McMillan of Robeson County creating the Croatan Normal School. The law, which was in response to a petition from the Indian people of the area, established a Board of Trustees and appropriated five hundred dollars to be used only for salaries. A building was constructed by the local people at a site about one mile west of the present location, and the school opened with fifteen students and one teacher in the fall of 1887. For many years the instruction was at the elementary and secondary level, and the first diploma was awarded in 1905.

The school was moved to its present location in Pembroke, the center of the Indian community, in 1909. The General Assembly changed the name of the institution in 1911 to the Indian Normal School of Robeson County, and again in 1913 to the Cherokee Indian Normal School of Robeson County. In 1926 the Board of Trustees added a two‑year normal program beyond high school and phased out elementary instruction. The first ten diplomas were awarded in 1928, when the state accredited the school as a “standard normal school.”

Additional college classes were offered beginning in 1931, and in 1939 a fourth year was added with the first degrees conferred in 1940. In recognition of its new status, the General Assembly changed the name of the school in 1941 to Pembroke State College for Indians. Until 1953 it was the only state‑supported four‑year college for Indians in the nation. The scope of the institution was widened in 1942 when non‑teaching baccalaureate degrees were added, and in 1945 when enrollment, previously limited to the Indians of Robeson County, was opened to people from all federally‑recognized Indian groups. A few years later, in 1949, the General Assembly shortened the name to Pembroke State College.

The Board of Trustees approved the admission of White students up to forty percent of the total enrollment in 1953 and, following the Supreme Court’s school desegregation decision, opened the College to all qualified applicants without regard to race in 1954. Growth of over five hundred percent followed during the next eight years. In 1969 the General Assembly changed the name again to Pembroke State University and made the institution a regional university. Such universities were authorized “to provide undergraduate and graduate instruction in liberal arts, fine arts, and science, and in the learned professions, including teaching” and to “provide other graduate and undergraduate programs of instruction as are deemed necessary to meet the needs of their constituencies and of the State.”

Three years later, in 1972, the General Assembly established the sixteen‑campus University of North Carolina with Pembroke State University as one of the constituent institutions. The new structure was under the control of the Board of Governors, which was to coordinate the system of higher education, improve its quality, and encourage economical use of the state’s resources. The Board of Governors approved the implementation of master’s programs in professional education by Pembroke State University in 1978, as well as several new undergraduate programs. Since that time additional baccalaureate programs have been added, including nursing, and master’s level programs have been implemented in Business Administration, Public Administration, School Counseling, and Service Agency Counseling.

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke celebrated its centennial in 1987. On July 1, 1996, Pembroke State University officially became The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.

In 2000, a major in applied physics and four new master of arts programs were added. An office of International Programs and a University Honors College were also instituted to enhance scholarship.  Since then, the University has added new baccalaureate programs, including Spanish and environmental science, as well as new graduate degrees, including the Master of School Administration (M.S.A.), the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.), and the Master of Social Work (M.S.W.).  Many classes at the undergraduate and graduate levels are available through distance learning, including the Internet.

 

THE CAMPUS

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke occupies 126 acres along the western edge of the town of Pembroke in Robeson County, North Carolina.  It is easily accessible by automobile, ten miles from Interstate 95 and two miles from U.S. 74.  Commercial airline service is available at the Fayetteville Municipal Airport, Grannis Field, and at the Southern Pines/Pinehurst Airport, each 40 miles from the campus.  A map of the University campus is available on the University website at www.uncp.edu/map.

The main entrance is on Odum Road, which runs north from NC 711. Here Lumbee Hall (1995) houses the Chancellor’s Office and the Offices of Academic Affairs, Graduate Studies, Business Affairs, Student Affairs, Enrollment Management, and Advancement, as well as Admissions (undergraduate and graduate), the Registrar, Financial Aid, the Controller, Institutional Effectiveness, Legal Services (University Attorney), and Alumni Relations. 

Also on the north end of campus are the Walter J. Pinchbeck Maintenance Building (2004), named for a UNCP superintendent of buildings and grounds, which houses offices and garage facilities for university vehicles; the Soccer Field; the Intramurals Field; the LRA Softball Field; the Cox Baseball Field; the ROTC Building; Sampson Hall (2007), named for Oscar R. Sampson, a Chair of the UNCP Board of Trustees, which houses the Departments of Psychology and Counseling and Sociology and Criminal Justice; and the Adolph L. Dial Humanities Building (1980), named for a professor of American Indian history, which houses the Departments of English and Theatre, Foreign Languages, and History, as well as the University Writing Center, a computer lab, an oral language lab, a lecture theatre, and the English Resource Center. The English E. Jones Health and Physical Education Center (1972, 2005), named for a UNCP Chancellor, houses the Department of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation and has two gymnasiums, a natatorium with a swimming pool and diving tank, a wellness center, a physiology laboratory, and a small lecture hall.  The Givens Performing Arts Center (1975), named for UNCP Chancellor Paul R. Givens, houses the Theatre Arts program and provides an amphitheater‑style auditorium for an audience of 1700. 

In the center of campus, the Business Administration Building (1969) houses the School of Business and the Department of Political Science and Public Administration, a computer lab, and the Interactive Video Facility.  The Education Center (1976) houses the School of Education, the Office of University-School Programs, the Teacher Education Licensure Office, the Teaching Fellows Program, curriculum and computer labs for Education majors, and the Department of Philosophy and Religion.  The Nursing Department is housed in the Nursing Building (1965, 1987).   

Also centrally located are university facilities. In the James B. Chavis University Center (1987), named for a Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, the lower level houses the Information Booth, cafeteria, snack bar, a bowling alley, TV/games areas, and student and faculty lounges; on the second floor are a Commuter Lounge, the Counseling and Testing Center, Career Center, and the offices of Student Life, Greek Life, Intramurals, and Student Government.   The University Center Annex (2007) includes three conference rooms, a multi-purpose assembly room with two dressing rooms and a catering kitchen, and the offices of Housing/Residence Life, the Indianhead yearbook, and The Aurochs literary magazine. The D. F. Lowry Building (1965), named after the first graduate of the Indian Normal School, contains the Department of Social Work, the Teaching and Learning Center, the College Opportunity Program, Upward Bound, Student Support Programs, Disability Support Services, and a study room.  Student Health Services (1967) has examination and treatment rooms and 22 inpatient beds. The Business Services Building (1977, 2006) receives deliveries and houses the University Bookstore, the Campus Post Office, the Braves Card office, the Print Shop, and the Office of Purchasing Services, as well as Receiving and Central Stores; the office of Police and Public Safety is located on the side of the building, across from Oak Hall.  The Irwin Belk Athletic Complex (2002) includes Grace P. Johnson Stadium, Lumbee Guaranty Field, and Taylor Track for football and track and field; adjacent to it is the Bob Caton Field House (2007).  The West Office Building (2001) houses the Office of Distance Education; adjacent to it are the Dogwood Office Building, which houses the Center for Sponsored Research and Programs and the Family Life Center, and the International House, home of the Office of International Programs

The south of campus is a quadrangle with a pond and amphitheater, a bell tower, and a gazebo.  Locklear Hall (1950), named for Robeson County educator Anderson Locklear, houses a gallery, classrooms, and studios of the Art Department.  Moore Hall (1951), named for Rev. W. L. Moore, the first teacher at the Indian Normal School, contains the Music Department classrooms, auditorium, library, and studios, as well as an annex with practice rooms and facilities for the university band and chorus. Jacobs Hall (1961), named for Board of Trustees chair Rev. L. W. Jacobs, houses the Center for Academic Excellence, the Center for Adult Learners, the Media Center, the office of University and Community Relations, and other offices. 

To the south of the quadrangle, on NC 711, is the Mary Livermore Library (1967, 1997), named after a religion professor.  The library provides access to approximately 358,000 volumes, 27,250 periodical titles (print and electronic), the University Archives, and a depository for U.S. government documents, as well as extensive electronic resources.  Next door is historic Old Main (1923, restored 1979).  Its first floor houses the Multicultural Center, the Center for Leadership and Service, the television station (WNCP-TV), and the Native American Resource Center.  On the second floor are the offices of the College of Arts and Sciences; the Departments of American Indian Studies, Geology and Geography, and Mass Communication; the Esther G. Maynor Honors College; and the student newspaper, The Pine Needle. The Herbert G. Oxendine Science Building (1967, 2004), named for an Academic Dean, provides classrooms, laboratories, computer labs, and offices for the departments of Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and Mathematics and Computer Science. An addition houses the Division of Information Technology. 

Most residence halls for students are located near the center of campus.  In addition to Pine Hall (2000) and Oak Hall (2007), the two coeducational residence halls, there are two women’s residence halls, Mary Irwin Belk Hall (1970) and North Hall (1972), and two men’s residence halls: Wellons Hall (1965), named for university President Ralph D. Wellons, and West Hall (1965).  The University Village Apartments (2003) are at the north end of the campus.  The Chancellor’s Residence (1952, 1999) is located on the southwestern edge of the campus.

The Regional Center for Economic, Community, and Professional Development and the Thomas Family Center for Entrepreneurship are located off campus at the Carolina Commerce and Technology Center (COMTech) on Livermore Drive.

 

RETURN TO CATALOG