Skip to Quicklinks
Skip to Quicklinks
Contact Information

Office of the Controller
PO Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372

Bursar: 910.521.6855
Payroll: 910.775.4349
Relay: 910.521.6471

Location: Lumbee Hall, Room 311
Campus Map


frequently asked questions

1.  How and when will I receive a bill?

After June 30, 2009 UNC-Pembroke will send electronic bills to all students on a monthly basis. Once the bill is available online an email notice will be sent to the student’s email address and authorized user’s email address if applicable. Account balances are always available through the Braveweb online account center.

2. When is payment due?

  • Summer Session I and Intra Session I
    • May 23, 2013
  • Summer Session II and Intra Session II
    • June 27, 2013
  • Fall 2013
    • July 30, 2013 if you pre-register
    • August 21, 2013 if you register on August 1-20, 2013
  • Spring 2014
    • TBA

3.  Where can I see my account balance and information?

Students may access account information through their BraveWeb account from any computer.  Computer labs are located in academic buildings across campus, Mary Livermore Library and the University Center. Accessing their BraveWeb accounts at these sites will eliminate the need of a personal computer.

4.  How can my parent access my account?

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke is subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99).  FERPA is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. This means that student billing balances, billing detail and financial aid data cannot be given over the phone to anyone. This information will be available online or directly to the student with proper identification (picture id). Authorized Users can be added by the Student through their Online Account.

Instructions to grant access to authorized users

  1. Student will sign into BraveWeb account
  2. Click “Online Account Center”
  3. Click “Authorized Users” located at the top of the screen
  4. Click “Add Authorized User”
  5. Enter e-mail address of authorized user
  6. Answer two yes or no access questions
  7. Click “Add User”

Authorized user will receive an email with a password.  Authorized user must utilize the following link to log into the Online Account Center


5.  What are the different payment options?

Cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, financial aid, loans, outside sponsors and the Sallie Mae Tuition Pay Plan. Your Brave Web online account center will accept Visa, MasterCard and Electronic Check (ACH).  The Sallie Mae Tuition Pay Plan,, is an interest free way to spread tuition payments over a number of months. Any overpayment created within a semester will be refunded to the student.

6.  What do I need to provide Student Accounts if I have an outside sponsor?

Bring an authorization form from the sponsor stating what expenses and amount that will be covered for that semester.

7.  Can I pay my balance in installments to the University?

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke understands that sometimes you need some help managing your tuition bill. That’s why we offer the University of North Carolina at Pembroke tuition payment plan administered by Sallie Mae®. Payment plans are convenient, manageable payment solutions that give you the option to pay tuition in interest-free monthly installments, rather than one lump sum. Tuition payment plans offer:

  • More time to pay. Spread your tuition payments over a period of several months.
  • Interest savings. Use a payment plan to make monthly payments, interest free. You can also use a plan in conjunction with traditional student loans and financial aid.
  • Convenience. You can enroll in a plan, manage your account and make payments online, 24 hours a day.

Enrolling in a tuition payment plan is easy. Simply visit, click on “Enroll Now,” choose the payment plan option that is best for you and follow the easy steps to complete your enrollment. During the process, you will create your user ID and password, which will allow you to log on and manage your account online.

Make managing your tuition payments a little easier with a tuition payment plan administered by Sallie Mae. If you have any questions about the plan, call Sallie Mae at 800-635-0120 and a specialist will be happy to assist you.

You can only enroll in a monthly payment plan sponsored by Sallie Mae at  Enrollment fees are $45 each semester enrolled.  Tuition, Fees, Room & Board can only be budgeted. Books cannot be budgeted into payment plans

  • There are no payment plans for summer school.
  • To Determine your monthly payment:
    • Add total expenses for:
      • Tuition
      • Fees
      • On-campus housing
      • On-campus meal plan
      • Books cannot be budgeted into payment plans
    • Minus any estimated aid
    • Divide by number of monthly payments

Important Facts to Remember

  • Payments to Sallie Mae are disbursed to the University the following month after your payment is made to them. For example: A payment made to Sallie Mae Jan., 5 is not received by the University until Feb., 5.
  • Financial aid or other financial assistance should be considered when figuring a budget with Sallie Mae. If you receive enough financial assistance to cover your Student Account balance, you may cancel your contract with Sallie Mae Tuition Pay without penalty and are recommended to do so.
  • Adjusting Tuition Pay budgets can be done at any time. It is highly recommended that you review your budget after receiving your billing statement from the University for adjustment. Generally, the initial Tuition Pay budget is planned using estimated costs, so an adjustment based on actual costs may be needed.
  • You will receive a billing statement from the University even if you have a payment plan with Sallie Mae. Remember, when reviewing this statement, that you will need to deduct from your outstanding balance any payments made to Sallie Mae but not yet received and posted by UNCP. Again we receive payments from Sallie Mae Tuition Pay one month following your payment to them.

8.  What will happen to my account if it becomes past due?

All accounts will go through the following procedure:

Age of Accounts

Account balances that are less than $10.00 will be written off based on states policies.



1-30 days past due

  • Mail first past-due letter
  • Electronic Bill
  • Receive a promise to pay



31-60 days past due

  • Mail second and final past-due letter
  • Electronic Bill
  • Refer to Attorney General's Office



61 + days past due

Complete appropriate submittal forms and send to the Attorney
General's Office, or the agency legal counsel. Refuse additional
service to the delinquent debtor where this does not conflict with
Federal and State laws. After 45 days from date sent to Attorney General’s Office, a decision will be made on how to proceed with account. Account may be assigned to a state contracted collection agency. At least twice a month a list will be submitted to the Department of Revenue for tax set off proceeding to satisfy the debt owed to the university.




A student with an unpaid balance at UNC Pembroke will not be allowed to enroll for the next term. Current financial aid will not be used to pay prior semester balances.

For more information please refer to the following:

9.  How do I waive the school’s insurance because I already have insurance?

Since you already have insurance coverage you must complete the waiver on-line at each Fall & Spring.  Please print out and keep the confirmation number and e-mail you receive for the student accounts office in case we need to contact Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina on your behalf.

10.  Parking Permits

  • Required for parking on campus
  • Permits must be paid for at the Campus Police Office in the Business Services Building. 
  • Please have your vehicle registration/information and drivers license to fill out the required registration form.
  • Permits are valid for 1 year only from August 2011-August 2012

11.  When will I receive my loan?

Contact your Financial Aid Counselor

12.  Why was my financial aid/loan reduced or taken away?

Contact your Financial Aid Counselor

13.  Am I due a refund? How can I receive my refund?

Review your account through BraveWeb and the Online Account Center
Effective July 1, 2008, refunds will be processed using direct deposit. This is based on Federal Policy requiring the elimination of manual processing and distribution of refund checks. Please contact the Student Accounts Office in Lumbee Hall, room 109 or call 522-5782 regarding direct deposit information. 
Steps to receive direct deposit refunds

  1. Student will sign into BraveWeb account
  2. Click “Online Account Center”
  3. Click “My Profiles” located at the top of the screen
  4. Click “Payment Profile” located under page header
  5. Select payment type within drop down window
  6. Click “Go”
  7. Enter bank account information
  8. Check box next to “Refund Option…if you would like refunds to be deposited into this account”
  9. Click “Save”

14.  How do I receive my financial aid or loan refund check if do not set up an account for direct deposit?

Refund checks will be mailed to the payee’s permanent address on file in the Registrar’s Office.

15.  I paid for my tuition. When will UNCP send out the forms that state that information so I will be able to get proper credit when I file taxes?

Students enrolled in courses for academic credit at UNCP during any academic period will be mailed a Form 1098-T by January 31, if required by IRS regulations. This form contains important tax information that is being furnished to the IRS. Please note that the 1098T reports amounts BILLED, not PAID. The 1098-T includes qualified tuition and fees billed to you during the calendar year as well as scholarships or grant aid applied to your account during the year. UNCP is not required to issue a 1098-T to: Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants (when Box 4 is greater than Box 2).  Qualified tuition and related expenses as defined by the IRS include UNC-Pembroke’s tuition and mandatory fees only.

16.  Can personal checks be cashed at the Cashier's Office?

No, check cashing up to a maximum of $50 is provided by the University Bookstore.

17.  Can refund checks be cashed at the Cashier's Office?

No. Lumbee Bank will cash University checks with proper identification.
Updated: Thursday, March 3, 2011




Updated: Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Return to Bursar

Related Links
  • Coming soon!

© The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
PO Box 1510 Pembroke, NC 28372-1510 • 910.521.6000