Skip to Quicklinks
Skip to Quicklinks

application process

Students wishing to apply for financial aid should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form determines the eligibility of students for many types of need-based aid, such as Federal Pell Grants, Stafford Loans and Work-Study. Students must be fully admitted into UNC Pembroke before they can receive a financial aid award. Most of the information on the FAFSA comes from information that the student and the parents report on their Federal Income Tax Forms.


It takes a few days for the FAFSA Form to be processed. Be sure to go back online and review your FAFSA once it is completed. Check the comment section online to see if there is anything else you need to do. The University's financial aid office will receive the same information provided you have provided UNCP's School Code on your application (002954).


The Office of Financial Aid at UNC Pembroke will examine the results of the Student Aid Report and make a financial aid award for you. Normally, you will receive an aid award within a few weeks after you have received the SAR.


UNC Pembroke will mail you an award letter that will list the various types of aid for which you are eligible. If you accept your award, DO NOTHING. Your aid will automatically be credited to your account.


If you have been awarded a Stafford Loan as part of your financial aid package, there is a separate loan application that you must fill out. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in order to receive a loan. We will mail a loan application to you as part of your award package. If you wish to use a lender that is not on our preferred lender list, please send us a completed application from that bank and we will be happy to process it for you.

Students who take out a loan for the first time at UNC Pembroke must complete an Entrance Interview Form.


Some students are selected by the government for a process known as verification. Your SAR will tell you whether or not you have been selected. If you are selected, you will need to submit your and your parents Federal 1040 tax form along with a verification worksheet. The Office of Financial Aid will tell you what else you may need to do.


© The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
PO Box 1510 Pembroke, NC 28372-1510 • 910.521.6000