Skip to Quicklinks
Skip to Quicklinks
Contact Information

School of Graduate Studies
PO Box 1510
200 North Odum Street
Pembroke, NC 28372

Phone: 910.521.6271 or 1.866.521.GRAD (4723)
1.866.521.GRAD (4723)

Location: Lindsay Administration building, Room 124
Campus Map


admission requirements

Below you can access information on:

  • Guidelines and Requirements
  • International Student Requirements
  • Application Deadlines
  • Visiting Students
  • Enrichment Applicants


All students seeking to enroll in any graduate class must be admitted to the School of Graduate Studies. Information for international and visiting students is given at the bottom of this page. To be considered for full or provisional admission to a degree program, an applicant must:

1) submit a completed application form to the School of Graduate Studies;

2) pay $45.00 non‑refundable or $60.00 non-refundable for International applicants application fee. Call the Cashier Office with credit card--910-521-6410 or 521-6206 or pay in person in the Cashier Office with cash, check/money order or credit card;

3) submit one official transcript from all colleges/universities attended to the School of Graduate Studies (address on left side bar); your undergraduate transcripts must indicate the date that the applicant’s baccalaureate degree was awarded. *Even if you have only taken one class at another institution, we need that transcript, as well;

4) have a satisfactory undergraduate academic record and meet at least one of the following minimum GPA (4.0 scale) requirements: Must have an overall GPA of at least a 2.5 on all undergraduate work or 3.0 for MSN program, or an overall GPA of at least a 3.0 in the undergraduate major, or a GPA of at least a 3.0 on all undergraduate work taken in the senior year;

5) submit an official report of satisfactory scores on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) {required for MPA} or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or GRE{required for M.B.A.} **Scores must be no older than five years at the time of submitting an application. Students applying to the MSN program can waive the entrance exam if they have at least a 3.5 overall undergraduate GPA. See additional information at Entrance Exam;

6) have three recommendations submitted on their behalf.  At least one recommendation should be from a college/university faculty member in the undergraduate major of the applicant; others should be from the applicant’s employer/supervisor; and

7) submit a copy of a current NC teaching license if applying to the M.S.A., M.A.Ed., or an M.A. licensure program.

Some programs require additional components or specific minimum scores. Check to see if there are additional, program-specific requirements for the program to which you are applying.

Return to Top of PageBack to top

International Students

In addition to items listed above, international students must provide:

An official transcript evaluation report from World Education Service (WES), American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers or Josef Silny & Associates.

Official TOEFL or IELTS scores unless undergraduate degree from an English-based institution. TOEFL minimum required score is 550, or 213 if computer-based, or 80 for Internet-based for all programs except English Education which requires 570/230/88.

Financial Verification forms (PDF - requires Adobe Reader)

Return to Top of PageBack to top
Visiting Students

The application process for students who are enrolled in a graduate program at another institution and wish to take courses at UNCP to transfer back to their degree-granting institution requires:

  1. A completed application and application fee
  2. A letter from your Dean or Program Director stating that you are in good-standing and authorized to enroll at UNC Pembroke to earn transfer credit. The letter should also state the specific UNCP course to be taken. Please submit this letter to:

Dean, School of Graduate Studies
UNC Pembroke
P.O. Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372

Return to Top of PageBack to top

The application process for students who have already earned a degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, who are not enrolled in a degree program at other institutions and wish to be enrolled in a graduate course(s) at UNCP for personal or professional enrichment purposes require:

  1. A completed application and application fee
  2. An official degree-dated transcript from an accredited institution.
  3. A letter or statement to the Dean of Graduate Studies requesting permission as an enrichment student. The applicant should also specify the course(s) that they are seeking.

Return to Top of PageBACK TO TOP


© The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
PO Box 1510 Pembroke, NC 28372-1510 • 910.521.6000