Shooting assignments for Photojournalism JRN 3200 / PRE 3200, An introduction to photojournalism using digital still photography.
Getting started . . .
- Seeing Colors MULTIPLE SHOTS OF THE SAME COLOR
- Seeing the Alphabet MULTIPLE SHOTS OF THE SAME CHARACTER
- Natural vs. Artificial Light NOTICING THE SHADOWS
- Night Photography LIFE AFTER DARK
- The Photo Cliche DISCOVERING THE ORDINARY
Shooting people . . .
- Candid People WALKING & WORKING
- Kid Pix CHILDREN SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD
- Hands and Hats
Portraits . . .
- The Portrait A FORMAL PERSON
- Still Life A FINE ARTS PORTRAIT
- Product Shot PORTRAIT OF A THING
Shooting stuff outside . . .
- Exposing Flora UNEARTHING PLANT LIFE AROUND CAMPUS
- Capturing Fauna FERRETING OUT THE CAMPUS ANIMAL KINGDOM
- Greenhouse Moment SEEING THE ENVIRONMENT
- Things Out of Place NOT WHERE YOU WOULD EXPECT THEM TO BE
- Ugly Picture of a Beautiful Scene REVOLTING TO THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER
- Macro World GETTING DOWN AND DIRTY WITH THE NATURAL WORLD
Movin' on up . . .
- Capture the Times THE WAY WE LIVE NOW
- Feature Photo HEART OF A STORY
- Human Interest Feature SHOOTING A TEAR-JERKER
- Picture Story / Photo Essay A SPREAD PAGE LAYOUT
- Slide Show SET OF CAPTIONED IMAGES TELLS STORY
- PR Shots for a Client PHOTO ESSAY PROMOTING A PERSON. PRODUCT OR IDEA
- Traveling Gnome SAME OBJECT IN MULTIPLE PLACES
- Avant Garde Photo REVEALING TOMORROW'S MAINSTREAM
- Surreal Photo INCONGRUOUS JUXTAPOSITION OF FANTASTIC IMAGERY
- Five-Layer Photo A MONTAGE
- Photo Cliche Redux INTENTIONALLY MUNDANE
BOLO . . . BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR
- Spot News WATCHING FOR SOMETHING TO HAPPEN
- Rainy Day Photos WATCH OUT FOR SPRINKLES AND REFLECTIONS
- Sports Action CAPTURE THE EXCITEMENT
- Issue Photo ILLUMINATING THE CONTROVERSIAL
Long-lead assignments . . .
- Information Booth PR PHOTO TEAM SHOOTING DEPARTMENTAL SUBJECTS
- Campus Life STOCK PHOTO AGENCY SHOOTS UNCP IN AND OUT
One-Hour Photo Service Assignments for special shooting opportunities within a Maymester daily class
- Postcard from Home Look at postcards in the Bookstore. Imagine a better postcard. Shoot. If desirable, add elements to your postcard with Photoshop.
- Two Football Fields Go exactly 200 yards away from Old Main. Find and shoot an intriguing photo.
- What's happening at 11:30 a.m.? Synchronize your clocks. Go to six different compass points. Shoot what's happening there at exactly 11:30 a.m.
- Time-of-Day Photo Shoot five images that clearly reveal the time of day. Not clocks.
- Photo Inventory of What¹s New Inside Show what's new inside Oxendine, Dial, Jones, Moore, Nursing, and other new buildings.
- Five Clocks Find five clocks and record their images. Don't use the UNCP clock tower.
- Native American Resource Center Make five photos of exclusive subjects, with no duplicate subjects across the class.
- UNCP History Locate and shoot signs of the times before we became UNC.
- Craftsmanship Make photos of the result of the skilled practice of making something by hand.
Resources for Courses »
© 2011 Dr. Anthony Curtis, Mass Communication Dept., University of North Carolina at Pembroke e-mail home page