Using Statistics in Research
Tools for performing descriptive statistical computations
When you want to learn either a little or a lot about statistics, there are several online statistics textbooks, courses and learning modules that cover the subject from basic descriptive statistics through very advanced topics for professional statisticians.
Electronic Statistics Textbook
Electronic Statistics Textbook is available freely on the Web.
StatSoft publisher website.
Using this online textbook will give you an understanding of statistics and an ability to apply statistics. The chapters are readable and interesting with helpful graphics. The whole textbook can be read online or downloaded to your hard drive for an offline reference text.
The textbook begins with an overview of important elementary concepts and continues with an in-depth exploration of specific areas of statistics representing classes of analytic techniques. The areas are organized as modules accessed by buttons. A glossary of statistical terms and a list of references for further study are included.
StatSoft, publisher of Statistica data analysis software, developed the online textbook as a course based on experience teaching undergraduate and graduate statistics courses. It covers a variety of applications, including laboratory research such as biomedical or agricultural, business statistics and forecasting, social science statistics and survey research, data mining and warehousing, engineering and quality control applications, and others.
VassarStats Statistical Computation Website
Concepts and Applications of Inferential Statistics Textbook is available freely on the Web.
VassarStats publisher website.
VassarStats is a good site for learning online and a useful, user-friendly, interactive tool for performing basic statistical computations. The author is Vassar College psychology professor Richard Lowry.
Wolfram MathWorld resource is available freely on the Web.
Wolfram Research publisher website.
Covering algebra, applied mathematics, calculus and analysis, discrete mathematics, foundations of mathematics, geometry, math history and terminology, number theory, recreational mathematics, and topology, as well as probability and statistics, the website is sponsored by Wolfram Research, publishers of Mathematica. The author is Eric Weisstein.
Cornell University Web Center for Social Research Methods
Web Center for Social Research Methods at Cornell University is a thorough website for people involved in applied social research and evaluation.
Concept Systems Incorporated is related to the Center for Social Research Methods.
The Web Center for Social Research Methods is about applied social research and evaluation including statistics. The author is William Trochim of Cornell University.
Return to the top of this page
Further readings about statistics and research methods
This list is brief and not exhaustive. There are many other excellent resources.
- Statistics Wikipedia
- Statistical survey Wikipedia
- Survey sampling Wikipedia
- Design of experiments Wikipedia
- Database Wikipedia
- Bibliographic Database Wikipedia
- List of online databases Wikipedia
- What is a database? Webopedia
- What is a database? TopBits by Tech-FAQ
- Finding Information on the Internet: A Tutorial University of California - Berkeley
- Research Databases The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
- Database of Research Opportunities UNC-Chapel Hill - Office for Undergraduate Research
- ERIC – Database of Education Literature Education Resources Information Center, U.S. Department of Education
- Catalog of Research Methods Wikipedia
- Quantitative Research Wikipedia
- Qualitative Research Wikipedia
- Scientific Method Wikipedia
- Electronic Resources UNCP Livermore Library
- Social Research Methods Cornell University
- Research UNCP Livermore Library
- Literature Review Wikipedia
- Literature Reviews The Writing Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Write a Literature Review The University Library, University of California - Santa Cruz
- Literature Review Tutorial The Library, American University
- Learn how to write a review of literature The Writing Center, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Booth, Wayne C., and Gregory G. Colomb and Joseph M. Williams. The Craft of Research. University of Chicago Press
- Christensen, Larry B. and R. Burke Johnson and Lisa A. Turner. Research Methods, Design, and Analysis Allyn and Bacon
- Creswell, John W. Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches Sage
- Graziano, Anthony M. and Michael L. Raulin. Research Methods: A Process of Inquiry Allyn & Bacon
- Leedy, Paul D. Practical Research: Planning and Design. Merrill/Prentice Hall
- Lowery, Shearon A. and Melvin L. DeFleur. Milestones in Mass Communication Research: Media Effects Merrill/Longman
- McBurney, Donald H. and Theresa L. White. Research Methods Wadsworth
- Northey, M. Making Sense: A Student's Guide To Writing and Style. Oxford University Press
- Strunk, W. and E.B. White. The Elements of Style. MacMillan Publishing Co.
Resources for Courses »
© 2011 Dr. Anthony Curtis, Mass Communication Dept., University of North Carolina at Pembroke e-mail home page