What is photo manipulation?
Editing photographs to create illusions and enhance story-telling
What is it?
Stop Global Warming image courtesy of Ferdi Rizkiyanto
Who uses it?
- Photo manipulation is the act of altering a photo using computer software to improve the look, beauty and readability of the image. Frequently it's difficult for a viewer to differentiate between a manipulated image and reality.
What's it about?
- Photo manipulation is a tool used by photographers, photojournalists, photo editors, graphic designers and others working in visual communications, communication design, visual arts, mass media, content design, page layout, and related fields.
What skills are needed?
- Photo manipulation creatively combines and modifies elements of a photo to produce a unique image that is convincing to a viewer. Manipulation gives a photo a realistic view of an unreal picture. The entire manipulation process is subjective.
After they are shot, many photos turn out to need small corrections, adjustments or modifications. For instance, as the result of such factors as technical characteristics of the camera or the weather or available lighting they may need perfecting or enhancing. In addition, many photos today are "photoshopped" to satisfy the imagination and creativity of a photographer.
The widely-used term photoshopped comes from the brand name of the most popular image manipulation software, Photoshop from Adobe Systems Incorporated.
What tools are needed?
- Photo manipulation includes technical retouching to restore and enhance photos by adjusting colors, contrast, white balance, gradation, and sharpness, and to remove flaws that are visible on surfaces such as skin. A photo is opened in a software application where the manipulation occurs.
- Creative retouching is an art form that enhances images for advertisements, fashion, beauty and art exhibits.
- Image-compositing is used by the digital artist to blend multiple photos into a single composited image.
Learn more . . .
- computer desktop, laptop or tablet with a software app for editing photos
- digital camera that shoots still photographs
- social networks for staying connected
- website, blog, wiki or other content management system for publishing and sharing photographic creations
Basic how-to tutorials:
- Photoshop Basics pdf
- 5 easy essential retouch techniques for beginners
- Basic retouch and colorization
- Easy fast retouching method
- Photo retouching
- Change eye color
- Remove red eye
- Whiten teeth
- Hair processing
- Smooth skin
- Create a clear face
- Glamour model
- 40 minute retouch
- Displacement effects
- Create a dream girl
- Make somebody look older
- Photo manipulation Photoshop tutorial
- Top 15 Manipulated Photographs That Fooled Us All
- 40 Examples of Incredible Photo Manipulation
- Amazing Surreal Photo Manipulation
- 50 Creatively Thrilling Photo Manipulations
- 80 Excellent Examples of Photo Manipulation Art
- Mind-Blowing Examples of Photo Manipulation Art
- Browsing deviantART Photomanipulation
- 45 Brilliant Examples of Photo Manipulation Art
- 50 Amazing Human Photo Manipulation Artworks
- Amy Dresser
- Nason Art
- Glenn Feron
- Retouch viewer
- Filip Czechowski
Manipulation can deceive and persuade viewers as well as enhance story-telling and self-expression. Subtle changes have profound impacts on how we interpret a photograph, which makes it important to know when a photo has been manipulated.
- The Ethics of Digital Photo Manipulation
- Is Photo Manipulation Bad For Photography?
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art Explores Photo Manipulation
- National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) Code of Ethics
Image manipulation products:
Resources for Courses »
© 2013 Dr. Anthony Curtis, Mass Communication Dept., University of North Carolina at Pembroke email home page