|UNCP in Second Life:
Hospital for Nursing
Professional education and clinicals in the virtual world
UNCP's virtual world campus includes a Hospital for Nursing where students can work closely with faculty members in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program.
click to enlarge image of an ambulance at entrance
click to enlarge image of the nurses station
click to enlarge image of the OB/GYN suite
click to enlarge image of the x-ray lab
click to enlarge image of the nurses lounge
click to enlarge image of the examination room
click to enlarge image of the physicians lounge and dictation room
click to enlarge image of the physicians lounge from outside
click to enlarge image of the helipad
click to enlarge image of the outdoor classroom
Flickr images of the UNCP Hospital for Nursing
Coordinated with the Department of Nursing on the university main campus at Pembroke and the Clinical Learning Center on the campus of Southeastern Regional Medical Center (SRMC) at Lumberton, the virtual teaching hospital can provide experiential learning for both pre-licensure and RN-BSN students.
The Hospital for Nursing is designed to allow students to immerse themselves in real-world clinical scenarios while in the safety of the virtual world. Simulations are created and facilitated, which foster students' ability to care for diverse client populations across the lifespan.
The extensive facilities include simulated patient rooms, nurses station, X-ray lab, examination room, nurses and physicians lounges, conference spaces, sleeping quarters, dictation room, OB/GYN facility with ultrasound and incubator, helipad on the roof, ambulance and so on.
This constructivist approach to learning fosters critical thinking, clinical decision making, enhances self-efficacy and allows students to make meaningful connections to previous learning, while in the safety of a virtual environment.
Nursing students can enter the 3D virtual-reality world for orientation to the latest tools required in the nursing program while directing their own learning outcomes.
The facilities of the virtual Hospital for Nursing are online twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, so students can practice at their own time and pace in addition to working their scheduled clinical hours.
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke Department of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
UNCP's Hospital for Nursing is outfitted with:
SLURL is short for Second Life URL, a Web address. SLURL's are direct links from the Web to locations inside Second Life. The SLURL for the UNCP Hospital for Nursing is:
- Eight private, fully-equipped client rooms
- A spacious nurses station complete with workstations, storage, client charts, medical reference texts, a medication administration area with Pyxis, computers with Internet and Intranet connections and email and voice capabilities and live video streams into Second Life from real world sources
- A hospital administration suite with meeting spaces
- Nurses lounge with conference table, storage for personal belongings and kitchenette
- Physician's lounge with sleeping quarters, conference space and dictation room
- A helipad on the roof
The UNCP sandbox – the Newbie Convenience Center & Rest Station – is at this SLURL:
Learn more about virtual worlds and Second Life:
- What is a virtual world? »
- What is Second Life? »
- How to get started in Second Life? »
- Who are the residents of Second Life? »
- Second Life: PG vs. Mature »
- Second Edition Blog »
- Second Life home page »
- Great Places in Second Life »
- Stone Semyorka's Second Life photo collections »
- A small photo gallery of Second Life »
- Second Life on YouTube »
- Blogs about Second Life »
- Using Second Life for Education »
- About the UNCP Campus in Second Life »
- Livermore Library »
- Hospital for Nursing »
- SL Art Gallery »
- New Media and Journalism Center »
- School of Education »
- Astronomy Hall in the Campus Science Annex »
- Snowport Environmental Study Center »
- Campus Security Operations Center »
- UNCP Commons Conference Center »
- Education on the Second Life Grid »
- Center for the Study of Virtual Worlds »
- Scholarly References about Second Life and Virtual Worlds »
- How To Build in Second Life »
- Creating and developing Second Life »
- Second Life for Business »
- News Media in Second Life »
- News of Second Life and Virtual Worlds »
|The names Second Life and Linden Lab, and the hand logo and logotype, are registered trademarks of Linden Research Inc.|