Link to Dr. Frederick's
Link to the MPM 574 main page
1. What seems to be the shape of the average cost curve for hospitals? Is there evidence that significant economies of scale exist?
2. What barriers to entry have tended to keep new hospitals from forming?
3. Most community hospitals in 1995 were in which size category? Of all community hospital admissions in 1995, most were to which size of hospital? What was the next largest category?
4. How would physicians want a hospital's profits to be used and how would they differ from the hospital trustees' interests? How would they be similar?
5. How would a hospital set the prices for its services if it wants to serve as many people as possible without going in the red? if it wants to maximize its profits?
6. When did community hospitals' total number of beds peak? total admissions?
last updated April 1, 2002, by Jim Frederick
copyright 2002 Jim Frederick