1. Inevitable withdrawal from society.
2. Decrease interaction between the aging person and others in the social system to which he/she belongs
3. Initiated by the individual aging person or others within the shared social system.
4. Withdrawal more markedly from some classes of people while remaining relatively close to others (there is an uneven disengagement).
5. Withdrawal may accompanied from the outset by a preoccupation with one’s self.
6. Certain institutions in society may make this withdrawal easier for the aging person.