Study Guide #5
BIO 210: Environmental Science- Chapter 5: Evolution and Biodiversity: Origfins, Niches, and Adaptation
1. What is being described: a change in the genetic composition of a population over successive generations?
2. What is being described in the following phrase: the long-term, large-scale evolutionary changes among groups of species?
3. What do the following have in common: X rays, certain chemicals, and UV light?
4. What is being described: small genetic changesd that a population within a given species experiences ?
5. What is a gene pool?
6. Idenitify the causative agent, or factor responsible for the change from a light to a dark color in the pepppered moth.
7. The change in coloration mentioned in number 6 above can best be described as which one of the following:? coevolution, convergent evolution, microevolution, or macroevolution?
8. Distinguish the following: divergent evolution and co-evolution? Cite two examples of each.
9. What is the only source of new genetic material within a given population?
10. You study fossils of giraffes. Although there appears to be considerable variability in lengths of necks, there appears to be a definite shift to longer necks sover the course of time. What kindof natural selection is being described?
11. In a poopulation of cats, you notice there is considerable variation of length of fur. Over the course of time, you observe that there are many cats that exhibit very long fur and many with very short fur. However, there are few cats that exhibit an internmediate length of fur. Based upon the above scenario, what kindof natural selection is being described?
12. As you study a popultion of fruit flies, you notice that pink eye color is the most common, although white eyes and red eyes are also present. Over the course of time and many generations, you notice that the proportion of individuals with pink eyes steadily increases. What would you conclude about the kind of natural selection that is being described?
13. What is being described: when natural selection results in a shift toward one end of a normal range of traits?
14. What is being described: when natural selection results in a shift toward the average of a range of genertic expressions or trait for a particular trait?
15. Coevolution is best described as involving the interaction ofwhich of the following? plants and herbivores. involving the interaction of pollinators and flowers. involving the interaction of parasites and hosts?