Questions for Girouard, “Leisure and the City” (Chapter 9).
1. What was “Polite Society” and the “Beau monde” and why were they important?
2. Describe the importance of Pall Mall & the Strand in London.
3. Describe the importance and function of Brighton in England.
4. Describe the appearance and function of Unter den Linden in Berlin.
5. What are “Pleasure Gardens”? Describe Vauxhall and Ranelagh Gardens as “pleasure gardens.
6. Describe the function and appearance of the Palais Royal in Paris.
7. What were “academies” and why were they created? Note the creation of the Academie francaise in 1635.
8. What was the function and appearance of “Coffee Houses” in European cities? Note the importance of the Cafe Procope in Paris.
Questions for Girouard, “A New Scale for Cities” (Chapter 10).
1. What was the function of the Hotel des Invalides in Paris?
2. What was the Zeughaus (Berlin, 1695-1706)?
3. Describe the function of Bethlehem Hospital (London, 1676)?
4. Why was the Brandenburg Gate (Berlin, 1788-1791) erected?
5. What was the importance of Christopher Wren for London? Describe his plan for rebuilding the city.
6. Describe the appearance and function of King [Soho] Square (London).
7. Describe the appearance and function Grosvenor Square (London) and explain the construction of the Mewes.
8. Describe the appearance and function of Apartment Houses in Paris and other European cities.
9. Describe the appearance, function, and importance of James Craig’s New Town (Edinburgh).
Return to the HST 435 Home Page