The D. F. Lowry Building (1965, 2007), named after the first graduate of the Croatan Normal School (now The University of North Carolina at Pembroke), houses Center for Academic Excellence, Help Desk, Disability Support Services, College Opportunity Program, Center for Adult Learners, Freshman Seminar, the University Writing Center, and Starbucks.
D.F. Lowry Building
Reverend D.F. (Doctor Fuller) Lowry (1881–1977) was the first graduate of Croatan Normal School in 1905. He studied a “Scientific Course” of Latin, English, mathematics and history night and day for five years.
He would return to the University briefly as principal in 1906 and later as a member of the Board of Trustees. Rev. Lowry farmed and continued his studies by mail before moving to Lynchburg, Va., to study at Piedmont College. He returned home to sell insurance and managed the Pembroke Supply Company.
An opportunity to become a rural mail carrier in 1919 led to a 30-year career. He continued in the Methodist ministry and helped organize many churches, including the First Methodist Church of Pembroke, before retiring from the ministry at age 72.
The Lowry name is celebrated in local history. Rev. Lowry was the nephew of Lumbee hero/outlaw Henry Berry Lowry. Rev. Lowry made his mark, too, leading a movement to adopt “Lumbee” (a name used by local American Indians for the river) as the official tribal name. He also helped establish the outdoor drama “Strike at the Wind!”
Rev. Lowry had eight successful children, including Dr. Earl Lowry, who served as physician to generals Eisenhower and Patton during World War II.
The D.F. Lowry Building formerly served as the student center.
Updated: Thursday, August 2, 2012
© The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
PO Box 1510 Pembroke, NC 28372-1510 • 910.521.6000