Skip to Quicklinks
Skip to Quicklinks
Contact Information

University Communications and Marketing
PO Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372

Phone: 910.521.6252
Fax:
910.521.6185
Email:
ucm@uncp.edu

Location: Lindsay Hall, Room 107 and
Campus Map

 

moore hall

Moore Hall (1951, 2005), named for Rev. W. L. Moore, the first teacher at Croatan Normal School (now The University of North Carolina at Pembroke), contains the Music Department classrooms, auditorium, library, and studios, as well as an annex with practice rooms and facilities for the university band and chorus.

Moore Hall

Moore Hall

W.L. Moore

W.L. Moore
(1857-1930)

The Rev. William Luther Moore (1857–1930) began teaching in Robeson County, N.C., at age 17. Just over a decade later, Moore, along with Preston Locklear and other American Indian leaders, urged state Rep. Hamilton McMillan to introduce legislation to finance public education for American Indian children. As a result, the Croatan Indian Normal School was established.

Moore was a charter member of the Croatan Indian Normal School’s Board of Trustees and is celebrated as its first headmaster. Today, the Croatan Indian Normal School is known as The University of North Carolina at Pembroke, and Rev. Moore’s legacy continues on its campus.

Moore Hall, located next door to Old Main, is named in honor of Rev. Moore. The building originally housed a variety of academic programs, but it is now home to the Music Department. Moore Hall recently underwent a $2.6 million renovation and addition, completed in January 2006. In addition to its 216-seat concert hall, Moore Hall now boasts a new band room capable of housing UNCP’s Spirit of the Carolinas Marching Band.

Rev. Moore also served as a Methodist minister, pastoring the historic Prospect United Methodist Church. He married Mary Catherine Oxendine, an education pioneer in her own right, who was the first American Indian woman schoolteacher in Robeson County. The couple had five children.

As the Centennial History of the University eloquently notes, Rev. Moore “was an idealistic man who believed firmly in the uplifting effects of education.” UNC Pembroke has improved the lives of thousands of people through education for over 100 years. We believe Rev. Moore would be proud of his legacy.

Updated: Monday, January 13, 2014

Return to Campus Map

 
Loading

© The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
PO Box 1510 Pembroke, NC 28372-1510 • 910.521.6000