The Pine Needle
PO Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372
Staff email: staff members
The Pine Needle campus newspaper is located in room 253 in Old Main, the oldest brick building on campus and the building with columns known as the most recognizable symbol of UNCP.
Old Main is on the southeast corner of campus. It is number 1 on the campus map.
The newspaper offices are on the second floor near the Mass Communications Department office, classrooms, and faculty offices.
About The Pine Needle:
The Pine Needle was founded in 1947. At that time, the school was known as Pembroke State College for Indians. In 1949, the school was renamed Pembroke State College. The school was opened to all qualified applicants without regard to race in 1954. It became Pembroke State University in 1969 and The University of North Carolina at Pembroke in 1996. UNCP History
The Pine Needle was associated with the university's Department of Communicative Arts until 1998 when the elements of that department were redistributed. Journalism moved into the new Department of Mass Communications and The Pine Needle went with it.
Today, the newspaper is advised by a member of the Mass Communications faculty, Dr. Judy Curtis, who integrates the publication into the preparation offered mass communication students for careers in newspaper journalism and print media. In fact, The Pine Needle provides an active journalism learning laboratory for students. Majors and non-majors work side-by-side to earn academic credit for writing, editing, designing and publishing the newspaper 14 times a year with eight to 12 pages in each issue.
The Pine Needle began publishing an online edition in 2003. Dr. Anthony Curtis of the Mass Communications Department faculty advises the editors about the convergence of print and online media as they publish the Web version of The Pine Needle.