criminal behavior/suspicious person
The University Police Department is staffed 24 hours a day for your assistance and protection. This service is provided seven days a week on a year-round basis.
- Do not attempt to apprehend or interfere with the crime except in case of self-protection.
- Give your name and location and make sure the dispatcher understands that the incident IS IN PROGRESS.
Reporting Crimes in Progress
Call 6235. Provide the following information: (1) nature of the incident. Advise that the incident is in progress; (2) location; (3) description of suspect(s); (4) description of weapons; (5) description of property; (6) auto license of vehicle; (7) direction of travel upon escape; and (8) stay on the line with the dispatcher.
Reporting Crimes Which Have Already Occurred
- All crimes should be reported.
- Call 6235. Do not touch anything that may relate to the crime.
- When the University Police Department responds, provide a description of property and the names/descriptions of any suspects or witnesses.
- Always lock your office, car and room door(s) when you leave (even if it’s just for a few minutes).
- Avoid walking or jogging alone. Avoid poorly lit areas.
- Engrave your driver’s license number on all valuables. Keep records of all credit cards and property serial numbers. University Police will loan you an engraver.
- When walking at night to a parking lot, have your keys ready so that you can get into your car quickly and without attracting someone’s attention. Be alert to your surroundings.
- Do not leave keys in your car or valuables in view. Lock all valuables, radios, cell phones, sporting equipment, camera, briefcase, luggage, etc), in the trunk.
- Call 6235 to request a ride from University Police. This is an “on-campus” service provided free of charge from dark until 1 a.m. during the academic year.
- Never leave laptop computers, wallets, purses, book bags, etc. unsecured or unattended.
- Report all threats and suspicious activities or persons.
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Return to Procedures for Respnding to Specific Emergencies